Last year I looked at the SRS iWOW 3D Audio Adaptor. It was an amazing improvement on audio quality for the iPhone, iPod, and the iPad devices. The idea was that it connected to the docking port of the device and used the devices power and their own software application running on the device to accomplish the audio sweetening.
But as great of an idea as this was, you were locked into an iDevice and locked into using the connection ports with the software app. There were many other electronic devices out there on the market that could have benefited from the SRS Labs audio improvements. Enter the SRS iWOW-U. The iWOW-U, is a universal adapter that securely attaches to the headphone/headset jack of any audio device to offer HD-quality listening experience for all music, movies, games or other audio tracks. iWOW-U can be used with a wide array of devices (i.e. mobile phones, media tablets, MP3 players and personal computers) and is not dedicated to any specific product line or operating system.
SRS labs explains the concept and the specifications of the iWOW adaptor this way:
Utilizing several patented SRS audio solutions, SRS iWOW-U retrieves audio cues that are buried deep within the original source material to restore the integrity of the original recordings, providing an immersive three-dimensional sound stage with renewed depth and clarity, as well as deeper bass. The end result is incredibly more powerful sounding audio that brings music, videos, movies and games to life.
The SRS iWOW-U is housed in an all new slim, sleek gloss black enclosure that features a 3.5mm line in, a 3.5mm line-out, an indicative LED and a single button to control the unit. Features of the iWOW-U include:
- Internal long-life Lithium-polymer rechargeable battery – Capable of providing up to 6 of battery life
- Standard mini-USB charging port, for convenient charging
- Specialized tunings for headphones and car stereo systems
- In-line control compatibility
- Microphone pass-through
- Interchangeable color faceplates that create a personalized appeal (available on select models)Illustrated quick start guide
- Delivers natural and immersive HD-quality sound with substantial bass enhancement
- Connects easily and securely between any mobile phone, smart phone, media tablet, e-Reader, PC or MP3 player and a pair of headphones or earbuds
- Professionally tuned presets let you adjust the audio settings to your liking and select speaker settings – headphones or car/external speakers
For it’s $69.95 retail price, the iWOW-U is a wonderful way to jack-up audio levels on almost any device. I tried it on my daughter’s Android phone, and several of my Apple products in the house. I also plugged it into my wife’s car between my iPhone and the 3.5 mm dash plug-in. It worked as advertised period. I liked the added bass and treble that it gave me, and the generally increased audio levels. Some people may not want their audio artificially sweetened, but I would assume if they’re that much of an audiophile that they wouldn’t be listening to music on a portable device through a 3.5 mm cable to begin with. For the rest of us, I think you’ll be impressed with the difference the iWOW-U will make.
You can check it out at the SRS Labs Web site.